Sunday, November 15, 2009

I know, I know, two posts in one day.

Since I actually did some cooking today, I thought that it was worthy of a post. We are headed to some friend's house for Sunday Supper and were instructed to bring a salad. I had several very large beets in my fridge from my CSA that really needed attention. Another friend suggested I try a salad with beets and oranges. After reviewing several different recipes, I made some modifications and developed this. It is really quite simple.

Beet Orange Salad

Prepare two to three large beets (I mean really large. These were softball sized, so adjust your beet quantities accordingly). I am not going into detail as to how to prepare them, assuming that you either a) already know how or b) can figure it out. Once they have cooled, sliced them into thin (2mm thick) slices, then cut into wedges, like an apple. Really, you can cut them anyway you want.

Take three large mandarin oranges. Peel and slice the sections out so there is no pith and no membrane on them. Cut or rip each slice in half.

Toss together in a large bowl with about 3-4 TB coarsely chopped chives. Take one small red onion and slice as thin as you can - like paper thin. Add about 2-3 TB of the onions and the chives to the bowl. Toss.

Add salt to taste - something with texture to it like fleur du sel is ideal. Add freshly ground pepper - also to taste. Take best quality olive oil and drizzle on top. Add about 2-3 TB of red wine vinegar. Toss all together and taste. Adjust seasonings as needed. Often cold dishes need more salt for the flavors to really meld. I also added more vinegar to cut the sweetness of the beets.

Enjoy!

-S

1 comment: